Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Luc Ferrari



As a structural engineer I like to think that the piece I have created is the piece that will outlast or stand taller than all those before me (to a certain extent). My ego, as an artist, is based on a myriad of misinformation due to my hibernation sequence.

When I discovered I had an affinity to all things sound I quickly realized that my affinity was a bit different than those around me at the time. I tried a few times to "play" with others but it seemed frustrating on both ends. Thus I had removed myself from any thoughts of maintaining a similar status to my human companions during my younger years. Everyone I knew seemed to be a part of a "band". I still couldn't say if it was my protesting the conformity or just that what I had to offer wasn't appropriate for any others to join in on...

I felt very uncomfortable sharing what I heard with others, I was the only one (that I knew at the time) that was making noise with things that were designed to make "music" and loving it. FUCKING loving it! I was very proud of the techniques I had developed in the early nineties to utilize the stereo delay function in my ART SGX 2000 E guitar processor. Smashing bits of sound together and stretching them out again. Recording it into my little Fostex tape machine (which by the way is still going strong), flippin' the tape over and overdubbing another layer of chaotic reverberating chunks. Using the infrared pulse of a remote control to talk to my guitar pick-ups, recording the news, phone conversations, roommate arguments, warping old vinyls to produce yet an other sample worthy noise. I was a sponge soaking in all the sound I could handle and trying voraciously to form it into, at least, a semi coherent  piece of greater, evolved noise.

There still seemed to be something missing though... An audience. Who the hell would want to listen to that. Not too many folks that I knew. You ever been in the middle of an amazing trip and someone comes up to you and starts waving their hands in front of your face like a retarded little monkey and say "AAHooooooooo, Looook at my haaaands maaaaaan, I'm Sooooo Wasted right now, this is the Mooost amaaaazing things maaan, can't you FEEL that!!?"

Yeah, I kinda felt like that guy. The one trying to fuck with every one's trip.

Recently, however, the world I live in has made it possible for me to connect myself with others of similar structural philosophies. I have found that decades before my own inception there were humans who shared the same ideas that I hold now to be so important! Luc Ferrari is/was one of those humans. I never met the man but I sure would have loved to share a sound creation with him.

Luc Ferrari was a French composer who had an amazing ride through the realm of sound creation, I'll let you discover as you wish, so if you care to... Luc in hear Enjoy!

The piece I want to share is called Visage V. It was composed in the mid fifties and released in either 58 or 59, I can't remember because I wasn't around back then. It's inspiring to me though because it lets me know that my struggles are not as unique as I was thinking. Innovation is relative to the surrounding interactive devices at hand. There are zero boundaries outside the confines of our own distinctions.



                                                           Ecoute Moi

No comments:

Post a Comment