Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Womb



When I was a kid I remember looking through a book that told a story from the perspective of an alien inside of a spaceship as it flew around the earth discovering things to be discovered. The title of the book escapes me but I remember very clearly the part in the book when the alien ship was hovering over the freeway at sunset, looking down upon the cars below, and speculating that they may be some kind of life form to communicate with... They had eyes that illuminated the road (headlights), they seemed to communicate with each other if they got too close (horns), and some of them could even be looked inside of to reveal the tiny organisms that operated them (humans)... Does that sound familiar at all? With my vague paraphrasing...?

The following piece of sound was created in part because of the memories I had of the mysterious book from my childhood and also because I wanted to create an activity for my friends and I to do while we were enhanced. More specifically one of my friends who, at the time, was my partner in the discovering of all things new and exciting while under the influence of Tetrahydrocannabinol.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
I had rolled up to his house at about eight or nine pm and parked my Honda right in front of the Devil's Trumpet. (What an accomplishment! He had gotten the thing to grow about four, maybe five feet tall. Shiny black stalk and beautiful purple flowers that only bloomed at night to throw out their scent of musky sweet perfume.)

The idea for that night was to listen to the heartbeat found within the womb of the car. I was at home mixing the sounds together through some crappy radio shack speakers as they were face down on the ground when I had pieced the idea together. I had laid down on the ground with the speakers (cones down) on either side of my head and pulled them tight to my ears. The muffled tones gave me an experience of listening to the womb of an alien. So I continued to mix it extra loud and thought it would be perfect for an evening of sensational experimentation. I would play the cassette in my car (really loud) and we would gather around the car, pressing our ears up against the roof of the vehicle, to listen.

Disclaimer: This was my first attempt at a longer piece of sound, it's sloppy, and not what I would do again. Enjoy my memory.

                                                                                                         Press Ears Here

No comments:

Post a Comment